Tuesday, June 25, 2019


Granted
The next night my phone rang. “Turn on the news,” Billie said.  I did.

“Wait,” I said. “Who is that?”

“They caught the guy who’s been messing with Kim’s boyfriend’s car, the one pestering Kim.  He’s wanted for murder in Georgia. They found a knife, duct tape, and rope in his apartment. Police think he was stalking women here to take to them to a house in the woods outside of Atlanta.”

I let that sink in.  “You still there?” Billie asked.

“Still here,” I said. “He could have gotten Kim.  Can’t imagine, don’t even want to think about it.”

I doubted I’d ever have to worry again about someone being kidnapped, but people exited my life in less dramatic ways.  Old age, new jobs, retirement, marriage, divorce, long distance moves all separated people from me. 

I made up my mind to make the most of my time with people, to take no one for granted.

Today I won’t take anyone for granted.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment