Friday, June 14, 2019


Unfinished Business
At the end of the meeting, Roger said, “Gotta hit the men’s room,” and handed baby Katie to me.  Katie woke up and grimaced. 

Looking over my shoulder, The Youngstown Kid said, “Babies love me, want me to hold her?”  I shook my head and rubbed noses with Katie.  She made a small grunting sound, squeezing her eyes shut.  She started to cry.

In a few minutes she stopped crying and smiled. We rubbed noses again and she smiled some more.  I rested her head on my shoulder. That’s when the smell hit me.

Katie had taken care of business before dealing with me.  “You’re a smart one, yes you are,” I said.  She shut her eyes and I looked around for Sue. 

I’d seen many people falter because of unfinished business.  People relapsed rushing into relationships newly sober, before they’d taken care of the business of early recovery.  “We kissed in the moonlight behind the dumpster at rehab. It was magic…”

Others gave up on marriages, blaming their spouses, without considering what unfinished business they brought to the relationship.  “You’re just like my mother!”

I wondered if I still had some unfinished business to attend to.

Today I’ll try to deal with any unfinished business.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment