Thursday, June 13, 2019


Like it or Not
The Youngstown Kid, self-proclaimed handsomest boy to ever roll out of Blawnox, pulled up a chair in the aisle at the end of the table.

“I’ve decided to make this my home-group,” he said, extending his hand.  “You’ll be seeing a lot more of me.”

Two seats away, Katie stirred in Roger’s arms.  ‘She senses the idiocy and some as yet undeveloped part of her brain is alarmed,’ I thought.

“Wonderful,” I said. Just #$%@ wonderful.  Now I’d have to deal with The Youngstown Kid’s narcissism and need for attention.

I looked at my options. I could change home-groups. I could run him over in the parking lot. I could take the advice I’d given many people; accept that you’re not going to like everyone.

I didn’t want to change home-groups, all my recovering friends were in that one.  If I killed him I’d go to jail.  My fellow Death Row inmates might not be as annoying as The Youngstown Kid, but was I willing to risk it?

I decided to take my own advice.  I’d accept that I wasn’t going to like everyone.

Today I’ll accept dealing with people I don’t like.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment