Monday, March 30, 2020

Get Out of the Way
Working on a Saturday, I hadn’t expected to see anyone. It seemed like the perfect time to catch up while practicing social distancing.

The office was deathly quiet. I heard a noise, looked up, and almost wet myself.
Miss Rella wore a black mask and green gloves.  She had a tank filled with an evil looking gray liquid strapped to her back, snake-like nozzle clutched in her hand.

“Cindy,” I said, “what the hell is that?”

“You’re not supposed to be here,” she said, the mask distorting her voice. I wasn’t sure is she meant in the building or in the universe. “I’m disinfecting.”

“Can I do anything to help?”

“No, the best you can do is go home.  After I spray this, that’s what I’m doing.”   I wanted to help, but I realized sometimes the best I can do is get out of the way.

Today if I can’t help, I’ll get out of the way.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment