Thursday, March 26, 2020


Sleep
The next night I stayed up watching Netflix, even though I knew research has shown a connection between Alzheimer’s disease and lack of sleep.  Scientists theorize that while we sleep, the brain rids itself of something called ‘ beta-amyloid.’ If we don’t sleep, it builds up, clogging our brains. 

I was convinced beta-amyloid traveled down our arms and into our hands.  It assumed control of our fingers, especially the middle one, making us quicker to flash it at other drivers. 

Tired people tend annoy others. In line at the McDonald’s drive through that morning, I saw the guy in front of me yawn. He stared at the board over the speaker for what seemed like an hour. 

“It’s been the same damn menu for ten years,” I said to the steering wheel.  

 Finally, he asked, “Does that McMuffin thing come with scrambled eggs?” The voice from the speaker said ‘no.’ He went back to staring at the menu.  I tried to let go of my anger.  I was tired too, and I didn’t think I’d do well in prison.

The world would be a safer, happier place if everybody got more sleep. “Tonight I’m going to do my part,” I said to myself.

 Tonight I will get enough sleep.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment