Wednesday, March 18, 2020


One Whatever
With the trial on hold, I went to work. Ms. Rella had been right, the work had piled up. Because of the corona virus, people didn’t want to go to trainings or Twelve Step meetings. Orders for home-study courses and recovery books filled my desk.  Trainings had to be rescheduled.

I stared at the pile for minutes, wondering how I could justify dumping the work on the interns. I couldn’t. Maybe I could fake my own death.

Finally, I organized the piles and got to work.  “Some things you have to do one whatever at a time, one day at a time, to enjoy something better for days to come,” I said to my laptop.   I started a list:

  • One chemo treatment at a time to later enjoy one day at a time.
  • One difficult class at a time to use the knowledge one day at a time.
  • One grueling practice at a time to enjoy a long season, with memories that last a long time.
  • One more restless day in early recovery to enjoy many days sober.


The list went on.

Today I’ll get through one whatever at a time to enjoy something better for a long time.
Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment