Thursday, June 25, 2020


Enjoy the Day
I got on my bike and set my watch. My goal was to average 16 mph. I set my bike computer, and then thought, ‘Nah, I’ll just enjoy the day.’

Not long into my ride, I saw Phineas and Millicent.  I didn’t know their real names, but they reminded me of a couple who might have strolled the London streets in the late 1800s.

As I passed Phineas I pointed to Millicent up ahead and asked, “Think you’ll catch her?” He laughed, and said, “She caught me a long time ago.”  I couldn’t help but smile.

I stopped to talk to a fisherman who said his only luck was sunshine on his day off. He seemed happy. 

Near the end of my ride, a young guy flew by me. I took off after him, closing the gap until we hit the steeper part of an uphill grade. My lungs and legs reminded me why very few 50-somethings weighing north of 250 pounds race the Tour de France. I laughed at myself.

Putting my bike in my SUV, I thought, “Every now and then I need to do nothing but enjoy the day.”

Today I will enjoy the day.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment