Friday, June 5, 2020


Put it in Reverse
The next day I got up for work almost an hour later than I used to before the pandemic. Stepping onto the scale, I said, “Put on a little weight.” It may have just been a spring squeaking, but I could have sworn I heard the scale chuckle at the word ‘little’.  My atrocious eating habits had caught up with me.

I looked into the mirror, and saw the grayish white stubble that grew mostly on my neck. “I need a shave,” I said to the mirror. No reply. “Okay, tomorrow then.”

My office was one flight up. For years I had taken the stairs. I got on the elevator and told myself I’d walk down the step when I left.

A friend texted to ask if I knew of any churches that let you bring coffee to their services. She’d gotten used to watching church on TV with a mug in her hand.  ‘They should put a pot in the back,’ she texted. ‘Or maybe hold services at Starbucks and let everyone wear PJs.’

Later that day I started a list of all the bad habits I had slid into during the pandemic. “Time to reverse that trend,” I said to my laptop.
Today I’ll reverse the trend.  

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment