Monday, June 15, 2020


Pancakes
Brat Boy got pancake mix out of the cupboard.  “It’s almost dinner time,” I said. “Why are you making pancakes?”

Brat Boy said, “I’m making the batter tonight so I can have some as soon as I get up.” He poured chocolate chips into the mix. “The secret is to use regular chips and the minis. You get an interesting texture that way and the minis break up the batter.”

“He’s his grandfather,” Dr. Deb said. Neither my son nor my father ever simply liked something. They treasured it, savored it.  A good pancake wasn’t just tasty, it was the greatest breakfast a human could consume, and proof God loved us. And that Mrs. Butterworth…

I liked to think I’d learned to enjoy life’s simple pleasures, but I knew Brat Boy had a lot to teach me.

Today I will find joy in everyday life.

 Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment