Friday, June 12, 2020


Fishy
Brat Boy walked into the kitchen. “One of your goldfish died,” I said.

 “The other one must have killed it,” Brat Boy said.  Dr. Deb, Blondie, and TyGuy stared at us.

“They’re on the same weird wavelength,” Dr. Deb said.

Blondie said, “Two strange peas in a twisted pod.”

“One probably ate more than his fair share of food,” Brat Boy said. “It’s not strange, it’s justice.  If CharChar was here, she’d say the same thing.”

Brat Boy and I exchanged fist bumps.

“See, this is why I like AA,” I said.

 “What do dead fish have to do with not drinking?” TyGuy asked, sounding baffled.

“People at AA are on the same wavelength. You tell most people you drank vanilla extract, they think you’re strange. Tell someone at an AA meeting and they’ll think, ‘If that’s what you had, that’s what you drank.’”

They stared at me some more.

Today I’ll be grateful for people on my weird wavelength.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment