Thursday, June 11, 2020


Goldfish Are Really Small Loan Sharks
“One of the goldfish is dead,” Dr. Deb said as I walked into my house.   Dr. Deb, TyGuy, and Blondie were staring at the fishbowl.

“The other one must have killed it,” I said. “That one probably pushed the other one’s head out of the water until he died.”

Dr. Deb shook her head, “Why in God’s name would you assume one killed the other? That has to be the worst possible scenario.”

I shrugged. “Maybe one owed the other money. Goldfish are really tiny loan sharks.”

Blondie laughed, “Putting the fish aside, you do sometimes make yourself miserable imaging the worst, Dad.”

I knew they were right, but wondered how we had gotten from a floating fish to one of my character flaws
“TyGuy, if you find my body, and even if I was in poor health," I said gesturing toward Dr. Deb and Blondie, “assume the worst.”

Today I won’t  make myself miserable assuming the worst.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment