Tuesday, June 16, 2020


First Step
We sat on the patio. Dr. Deb said, “Penny for your thoughts.”

“Thinking about things I wanted to do before 60,” I said.

“What’s stopping you from picking one and getting started?” she asked. What was stopping me, I wondered. 

I knew the answer – taking the first step.  I feared taking the first step and committing to something I might not complete, something I might fail at.

I thought about the first steps I’d taken that turned out well.  After my first AA meeting, I never drank again. After I wrote the first chapter of my novel, I couldn’t stop until I finished. After I finally got the nerve to ask Dr. Deb out, my whole life changed for the better.

I made a list of possible first steps I’d like to take.

Today I will take the first step.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment