Wednesday, June 17, 2020


To Coin a Phrase
As the sun set, I held a coin up to the fading rays. Dr. Deb looked at me quizzically.

I said, “Imagine an ATM that dispenses one coin at a time, but won’t tell you how many you have left.  Each day you withdraw a coin. You have to spend it and you don’t know if it’s your last. When the money is gone, so are you.”

Dr. Deb laughed, “You really do have a morbid personality.”

“Listen, this is the flip side of what I told you about each day being my eulogy.  At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, ‘what did I get for my coin?’ Today I got a lot done at work. I rode my bike. I spent time with the kids. I ended the day with you.”

“You spent your coin wisely,” Dr. Deb said taking my hand in hers.

Today I will spend my coin wisely.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment