Thursday, June 4, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

If Today Was My Eulogy
When the trellis was up, I sat on the deck with Dr. Deb. She saw the smile on my face and asked me what I was thinking.

“Something I wrote a long time ago that I keep coming back to,” I said. “I’d tell you, but I think you’d find it morbid.”

“Tell me anyway.”

“’Live each day like you were writing your eulogy’. If I was going to eulogize myself, based only on today, I’d say, ‘He worked hard.  Spent time with his family.  Made sure people he loved knew it.  Stayed sober.’”

“A little morbid, but not a bad idea,” Dr. Deb said. She laughed. “What about yesterday?”

I laughed. “Spent his time sleeping on the couch. Ate chocolate ice cream by the quart. Refused to move because the cat was on him.”

Today I’ll live my life like I was writing my eulogy.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment