Wednesday, June 24, 2020

SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

People
At the end of the day, I drove to the Butler-Freeport Trail to ride my bike.  Most people understand bike trails are like roads.  Stay to the right, pass on the left. Some people who use the Butler-Freeport Trail don’t seem to grasp this concept.

Happy But Not So Bright Lady walks in the middle of the trail, smiles when she sees me, and moves directly into my path saying, “Ooh, let me get out of your way.”

Stare Roids, a muscular and always shirtless guy, walks with his wife on the wrong side. He stares at me when I barely get around him, refusing to make a wide arc to feed his ego.  ‘You don’t scare me,’ I always think, pedaling as fast as I can to put distance between us.

The Shady Bunch, a family of fifteen, stop in the middle of the trail to stare at the trees, poke a dead bird with a stick, or just talk. I’ve learned from experience they’re not interested in my suggestions for more reliable birth control.

I take a deep breath as I get on my bike. I’m going to enjoy my ride no matter who’s on the trail, accepting I can’t change people.

Today I will accept I can’t change people.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment