Monday, June 29, 2020



Lessons from a Wishing Well
When I got back from my ride, I stopped in the backyard to look at the wishing well Blondie and Brat Boy had made me for Fathers’ Day. Two tires I’d saved from a dead snow blower had been painted and stacked to form the well. It sat on a base made from an outdoor table Blondie and I had assembled years earlier.

The supports were made of wood I’d salvaged from the trebuchet Brat Boy and I had built for his senior project. They’d bought fresh lumber to make the roof, flowers, rope, and a crank. I loved the idea they had taken the old and battered, combined it with a few new bits, and made something beautiful.

“The old lumber is like values that serve people well year after year,” I said to myself. “Hold onto them: honesty, kindness, commitment.  The tires are all the things in life that didn’t work out; repurpose them as lessons learned. The new stuff is what we add as we age; combine them with wisdom, experience, relationships.

Today I’ll take a lesson from the wishing well.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment