Wednesday, June 3, 2020


SUMMER WITH THE SLUG RATS

Time
Brat Boy, TyGuy, and Blondie where putting up a trellis.  The trellis stood eight feet tall and ten feet wide, and was framed by heavy wooden planks. Go big or go small.

As we struggled to put the trellis in place, Blondie said, “Grandpa would have loved this.”  I expected to see a tear in her eye, but she was all smiles.

“I was his favorite,” Brat Boy said, laughing. “For obvious reasons.”

Blondie snorted, “I was Grandpa’s favorite, and I’m Dad’s favorite. Know it. Accept it.”

TyGuy said, “Your grandfather told me I was the grandson he always wanted, and he liked me better than you two combined.”   The three of them laughed and traded insults about who was Grandpa’s favorite and why.

Hearing them joke about my father’s passing made me smile. We had all been crushed when he died. Everyone still missed him, but time had worn away much of our sadness, leaving fond memories of a kind soul.

Today I’ll be grateful for time.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose
Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment