Monday, December 7, 2020

 

Fawlty Showers

The Art of Distraction

Cuddles sauntered in, followed close behind by M.A.

“Here’s the irony,” I said to M.A. and Cuddles as they stood in front of my desk studying me. “I’m writing a book about the slogan ‘life on life’s terms.’”

Neither the cat nor the ferret seemed to get the point.

“Life’s terms are a little uncertain right now,” I explained. “Sometimes uncertainty is worse than certain loss. You don’t want to get your hopes up, but you don’t want to accept defeat.”

M.A. looked at me quizzically.

“You do all you can to change the situation in your favor. If you have any time left, you gotta practice the art of distraction.”

Cuddles jumped up on my desk and purred. I knew he’d understand.

“So there’s nothing I can do about Abigail’s aunt.  I could make myself crazy worrying. Instead, I’ll go to the gym. I’ll focus on my writing. I’ll try cooking new things. I will distract myself before worry gets the best of me.”

M.A. made a chattering sound. He got it too.

Today I’ll practice the art of distraction.

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment