Monday, December 21, 2020


 Fawlty Showers

Filter

Marti stopped by my office. “Abigail says I absolutely need rehab, but I’m not sure.”

“Check your filters,” I said. “What information do you accept, what do you filter out?”

“My filters?”

 “Here’s how my filters worked when I was drinking. If I liked the source, I’d let the information pass. If I liked the information, I’d let it pass. If doing something about the information seemed painful, I’d filter it out.”

“Like how?”

“I loved the people saying I didn’t have a problem, so I accepted their information. I loved the idea of being a social drinker, so I accepted anything indicating I had some control of my drinking.”

I took a sip of my coffee and continued.  “I hated the idea of getting sober. I filtered out evidence I had a drinking problem, blaming everything else for my disaster of a life.”

“I didn’t want to be alone,” Marti said, pursing her lips. “I filtered out all indications my boyfriend was a POS.”

Today I’ll check my filters.

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment