Friday, December 18, 2020

 

Fawlty Showers


Lighten Up

At the end of the day Abigail passed me in the hall as I was leaving work. “How was court?” I asked her.


“It went as expected,” she said.


“You OK?”


“I’m fine.” She forced a smile as a single tear gathered in the corner of her eye.  She explained the story her aunt had spun of the devoted sister taking in her brother’s abandoned daughter, giving up her prime earning years for the sake of the child.


“Seriously?  Your aunt should be in jail.” I told my own tale of her aunt going to jail, being deloused, and having her head shaved. I threw in a graphic description of a cavity search performed by an angry guard on her fourth cup of coffee.


Abigail smiled a real smile.  I couldn’t help her in any meaningful way, but I thought for just a moment I had lightened her load. I wished I could do more.


 

Today I will try to lighten someone’s burden, if just for a moment.

 


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment