Friday, June 25, 2021

Fawlty Showers


Emotional Addictions

At the end of the meeting I got in line to thank the speaker.  She told me she’d gotten sober at Greenbriar. She had been furious with herself and the world when she had landed in rehab.


“You warned me that rage could become an addiction,” she said, looking away. “It’s mood altering, energizing, and takes the place of depression.”


“People get out of your way, or give you what you want to avoid dealing with you,” I added. “You pay the price when people start to avoid you.”


“I discovered there were other addictive emotions,” she said. “After I left rehab, I started having success, but I could only enjoy it for a short time before I had to have more.”


“What happened?”


“I crashed. Lost a business and a husband.  Add self-pity to the list of addictive emotions. Finally I learned to slow down and enjoy the positive, not wallow in the negative.”


Slow down to enjoy the positive don’t wallow in the negative. Good advice, I thought.


Today I’ll beware of emotional addictions, slowing down to enjoy the positive, not wallowing in the negative.

 

 Fawlty Showers II is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment