Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Fawlty Showers 2

Credit Card

After dinner Blondie gave me back my credit card she’d used to pay for a cake.


Blondie said, “If there’s expensive stuff on the bill, Brat Boy probably got the card out of my wallet.”



She was joking.  Blondie was a responsible adult who didn’t run up huge credit card bills.  She got me thinking about how getting drunk was like handing your credit card to a childish version of yourself. Instead of charging things a child might like, you did adult things you’d have to pay for later.


Problem drinkers ran up the bill with beer muscles, wearing beer goggles. They drove drunk, had ill-advised sexual encounters with other problem drinkers, embarrassing themselves and hurting loved ones. Sometimes they just rusted away, wasting their time, poisoning their relationships.


“Not gonna give that card to that drunken version of me,” I said. “Not today.”


Blondie looked puzzled, then laughed and  said, “You’re talking to yourself again, Dad.”


 

Today I’ll be careful who I hand my credit card to.

 


Fawlty Showers II is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment