Monday, June 21, 2021

Fawlty Showers II 


We

I stayed retired for two months. Randy called and asked if I could do run some groups on a part-time basis.  In three months I was working half-days. Complete retirement had left me restless, never a good thing for someone in recovery.

My first half-day back I led a group on Twelve Step recovery.

I said, “The first word of the first step is ‘we.’  You replace the we – the people, places, and things – of addiction with something better, the ‘we’ of your recovery.”  Anybody think of ways replacing one ‘we’ for another applies to your life?”

“If you feel empty, you better find something other than booze to fill your life,” an older guy said, staring at his shoes. His wife had left him years ago and his kids were moving away.

“Exactly,” I said. “How about other aspects of your life?”

“If you develop diabetes, and you want to eat healthy, you better learn some new recipes,” a woman added.

“If you want to get in shape, you ought to try different kinds of exercise until you find one you like.”

“Women are like buses,” a middle-aged man said, “If one leaves you on the curb, you just catch the next one.”  I made a note to meet with him individually.

Today I will find a healthier ‘we’.

  

Fawlty Showers II is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•             www.greenbriartraining.com 

•             https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

•             https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment