Monday, February 21, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Reset Button

We were sitting on the couch that night when Dr. Deb asked me what my training was about.


“Reminds me of when we were dating” Dr. Deb said, resting her head on my shoulder.


“How so?” I asked.


“You’d torture yourself over past mistakes, most of them you’d made while you were drinking.”


“I’d wasted a lot of opportunities.”


“You’re doing it again,” Dr. Deb said, shooting me a look.


“Sorry,” I said. “Bad habit.”


“And you were always convinced good times were just about to end.”


I nodded. “Yeah, but I’ve learned to stop as soon as I start dwelling on the past, or worrying about the future.”


“How?”


“I have a reset button. I list ways my life is different, how I’m different.  I make myself think about all the things I’d worried about that never happened, and all the things that did happen that I got through.”


“It helped,” she said.


“Not at first, but I kept at it. Couldn’t tell you how many times I made those lists. Sometimes you gotta hit your mind’s reset button again and again.”  

 

Today I’ll hit reset as many times as I need to.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment