Monday, February 7, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Mistakes Not Made

Brat Boy texted he was home from a club volleyball tournament.  They hadn’t done as well as usual.

   

I sent him a text with a laughing emoji saying I loved him, even if he’d lost all his athletic ability, wasn’t much to look at, and had questionable hygiene.


He texted back that he couldn’t decide to insult me or tell me he loved me. He didn’t think it mattered because at my age I wasn’t likely to remember either tomorrow. He ended with a heart and a laughing emoji.


I laughed, but Dr. Deb saw my face sag. She asked what I was thinking.


“Remembering a guy I met in AA. Rich guy. Tough guy. He’d been a mean drunk, workaholic, SOB, who’d ruined his kids’ lives.”


I sighed. Dr. Deb waited for me to go on.


I said, “His daughter delivered his first grandchild when he was ten years sober. He wanted nothing more than to have a second chance, be a better grandfather than he had been a father.”


Dr. Deb knew where this was going. “His daughter told him no.”


“He has five grandchildren last I heard. Hasn’t seen any of them.”


“Your kids love you. You’re glad you didn’t make his mistakes.”


“Drinking isn’t the only way to ruin someone’s life. It’s just one of the mistakes I’m glad I didn’t make.” 

 

Today I’ll be grateful for all the mistakes I didn’t make, drunk or sober.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment