Friday, February 4, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Don’t Be a Human Speedbump

Someone posted online that he’d fallen off the wagon.  I was glad to see all the support he got. I was also happy nobody had said ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.’


Just surviving a binge doesn’t seem to make people stronger. A strong recovery comes from pushing a little harder to catch up to the wagon, doing more to stay sober.  Recovery comes from being smarter, figuring out why you fell off the wagon in the first place, and making changes.


I thought about a woman I knew who loved to say what didn’t kill her made her stronger. After every bad relationship, with every bad boy she encountered, she’d claim she was stronger for the experience. 

 

 After a particularly nasty breakup, a friend told her, “You’re not stronger, you’re just a human speed bump, getting run over again and again.”


 This made me think what doesn’t kill may make me a little stronger, but hopefully makes me a lot smarter.  Otherwise, I’m just a human speedbump.

 

Today I won’t be a human speedbump.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.



Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible 

No comments:

Post a Comment