Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Tomato Soup and Backrubs

The next day I asked Dr. Deb what she wanted for Valentine’s Day. She shrugged.


Over the years, I’d seen too many relationships fail because one partner mistook low maintenance for no maintenance. They stopped doing things that showed they cared.


I’d also seen too many people with years of recovery relapse for the same reason. They stopped doing little things that kept them sober.


Decades into recovery, staying sober wasn’t the struggle it had been the first year. On the other hand, I still practiced daily disciplines to avoid relapse.


Decades into my marriage, I was fairly certain Dr. Deb knew how much I loved and appreciated her. I still made it a point to show and tell her, in small ways at least.


“How about tomato soup and sandwiches from the deli, a movie, and a fire?”  I suggested.


“Does that come with a back rub?” Dr. Deb asked.


“You’re so high maintenance,” I said, laughing.


 

Today I won’t mistake low maintenance for no maintenance.


 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

                    www.greenbriartraining.com  

                    https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment