Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Oldies

I was sitting on the couch next to the dog when Epiphany Chaser texted me to ask what vet we used. She got me thinking about her lead, and who I wanted to be.

Epiphany had called her father ‘Old Yeller’. He showed up when she was in trouble, yelling about how important he was, bragging about who he knew, threatening whomever she’d gotten into trouble with.

“It was always more about his ego than me,” Epiphany had said.

Epiphany admired her best friend’s father, who she nicknamed ‘Old Faithful’. He was always there when her friend needed him.  He had gone to parent-teacher conferences, coached her soccer team, and never left her corner.

“If you want to be there for them,” I said to the dog, “You first gotta clear what gets in the way. Could be ego, anger, alcohol, being a workaholic, whatever.” I was grateful I’d gotten alcohol out of the way.

 

Today I will clear away whatever keeps me from being there for the people I love.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment