Monday, November 21, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Who Do You Think You’re Foolin’?

When I was drinking I never called off when I was hungover. I went to work near death because, in my mind, calling off would confirm I couldn’t control my drinking.

Deep down I knew going to work hungover was dishonest. I didn’t work so much as I just survived the day.  Not taking a day off didn’t prove anything, except I was willing to fool myself.

That day I sent a text to corporate and Katy telling them I wouldn’t be in. Because years ago I had finally gotten honest about my drinking problem, I had no need to pretend to feel OK when I didn’t.

I thought about all the ways people deceive themselves about jobs, relationships, and the like. We tend to pay a price.

“It pays to be rigorously honest,” I said to the cat as I sank back into the couch.  “Especially with yourself.”

Today I will be rigorously honest, especially with myself.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment