Thursday, November 10, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

You Don’t Know

That night I went to my home-group. The Preacher wasn’t in his usual spot up front, sitting near the back, off to the side instead.

Epiphany Chaser came and sat next to me. Mojo curled up between our feet, his head resting on my shoe. I scratched his ears.

“I’m the speaker tonight,” Epiphany said.  She seemed distracted, unusual for her.

“You Ok?” I asked.

“I am, but I hate dredging up some of my past.”

Nothing horrible had happened to her, despite her habit of getting drunk and putting herself in dangerous situations.  She’d grown up smart, pretty, and financially secure.

Early in her life, Epiphany had realized how unimportant she was to the people who mattered most to her.  She’d spent most of her life failing to get their attention.

Seeing the pain on her face as she described her loneliness was heartbreaking.

“It’s a cliché, but it’s true,” I said to Mojo. “You never know what someone has been through, what scars they bear.”  

I didn’t have to tell the dog the point was to be kind to people who may have fought battles you knew nothing about.


Today I’ll assume everybody has been through something.


Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment