Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

Dog

The woman’s name was Amanda. I asked her what brought her into treatment.

“I missed a vet appointment,” she said. “Rescheduled and missed it again.”

The group fell silent, pondering how somebody so captured by drugs could find the strength and focus to take care of a pet.  

Amanda pulled out her phone and passed around a picture of a plump wiener dog.

“No matter how bad I got, I always took care of Dewey,” she said, wiping away a tear. “When I missed a couple of vet appointments in a row, I knew I had to stop.”

An older man sitting next to Amanda put his arm around her shoulder. “How ‘bout from now on you treat yourself as good as you treat that dog?”

While the group encouraged Amanda, I thought about how often we are more attentive to our pets’ needs than we are to our own.

 

Today I’ll treat myself as well as I’d treat a beloved pet.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible

No comments:

Post a Comment