Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Fawlty Showers 2

 

Is That Coffee I Smell?

I asked them to draw the nose on the stick figure and list three favorite smells.

A guy named Rudy said, “I can still smell the coffee my ex drank in the kitchen, always by herself, because I was too hungover to get out of bed.  No wonder she left me.”

Rudy shook his head and smiled, “Now I’m starting to love the smell of coffee when I come here in the morning. It smells like hope.”

A young man named Art snorted. “I remember the smell of the detective’s coffee the first time I was interrogated. I’ve done my time, and I’m getting sober.  Coffee smells like freedom to me.”

Someone asked me if coffee was on my list.

Coffee had gone from the only thing keeping me moving the morning after a binge to my favorite way to start the day.

After I got sober, I worked for the same facility for eight years, then twenty-three at another. I’d always been where my children needed me. Dr. Deb and I had celebrated our 31st anniversary that year.

“To me,” I told the group, “morning coffee smells like being responsible, fatherhood, and love.  Savoring those things, is part of stopping to smell the coffee for me.”

 

Today I will stop and smell the coffee.

 

Fawlty Showers 2 is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

•                     www.greenbriartraining.com  

•                     https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

 

#addictionawareness #dailymessage #inspiration #odaat #recoveryposse #recoveryispossible


No comments:

Post a Comment