Sunday, November 6, 2016

75. Trying to Understand
Margaret’s husband came to family day the next week. Standing perfectly straight, he wore a golf shirt with crisp creases in the short sleeves, pressed khakis, and immaculately clean sneakers.

He said, “When I was in the Navy I was running a fire fighting drill. A young sailor lost control of the hose.  The nozzle whipped around like a snake and bit me in the leg, snapping my femur. I was on painkillers for a month. Then I stopped taking them.”   

“I’m not sure I get your point,” I said.

“My wife has been in chronic pain.  I understand why she struggles with painkillers.  I’m trying to understand why my Felix has struggled.  He’s a smart kid.  He’s done some things with his life.  Why can’t he just stop?”

He shook his head, and I could see the frustration and concern on his face.

“Patience," I said. "It's always hard to understand a problem you haven't had.  I bet Felix appreciates you trying to understand."

Today I will be grateful for people who try to understand.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment