Wednesday, November 9, 2016

78. Am I Right or am I right?
Sarah sat down next to me at the AA meeting the next evening.  She asked me if I thought she enabled her son to keep drinking.
“You pay his court costs, car insurance, and car payments,” I said.  “He’s forty something.  Time for him to take responsibility for his own actions. So yes, I think you enable.”
“You don’t understand,” she said.  “You don’t know him.”
I pointed out that I did know him, and had tried several times to get him into treatment.  Again she said I didn’t know him, that I didn’t understand him.  We were in familiar territory.  Sarah wasn’t really looking for my advice. She only wanted me to agree she was doing the right thing.  She shuffled away to ask someone else.
Today I won’t ask for advice when I’m really just looking for agreement.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment