Wednesday, November 30, 2016

90. The Awareness of a Need to Change
The next day I had a long talk with Roy.  He’d had a long talk with his wife about their marriage.  He seemed baffled.

“So Ken,” he said, scanning my face for an answer to a question he had trouble forming, “She seemed …I don’t know, maybe the best word is relieved.  Told me she wasn’t unhappy, but not happy either.  She thought we’d set our standards too low.  We didn’t want enough out of our lives, out of our marriage. That has to change.”

I said, “When you first got here all you wanted was to get out of legal trouble so you could go back to drinking.”

“I know, but I’ve been thinking about the Serenity Prayer.  Maybe I’m accepting things I CAN change out of habit.  Maybe before I apply courage or wisdom, I have to notice something needs to be changed.”

Today I’ll revisit the Serenity Prayer.  Are there things I can change?


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment