Monday, November 21, 2016

86. It’s Not You, It’s Me
When I got home, my wife asked me to hang some Christmas decorations.  I went to my workbench to get a hammer and a torpedo level.  The level was missing. 

“Brat Boy,” I muttered to myself.  How many times had I asked him to put tools back where he got them?  What was so hard about putting the level back on the pegboard? When was he going to learn responsibility?

I reached for the hammer.  The level was behind it, on a hook where it didn’t belong.  I’d put it there when I was in a hurry to clear my workbench.   

I remembered my father pushing a lawnmower.  A horrible clang had told me he’d found the wrench I’d left in the yard.  Brat Boy was way more responsible than I’d been at his age.

Today I won’t blame you until I know it’s not me.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment