Thursday, November 3, 2016

74. We’re All Out Of Grateful
Two days later I felt well enough to go to work. Every time I got out of my desk chair, a muscle spasm stabbed me in the back. 

“I should be grateful,” I said to myself. “A lot of people suffer way more than I do. Street Sign is dying of cancer and not complaining.”  I made a list of people whose lives seemed tougher than mine.  I shoulded on myself a little more.  I should buck up. I should be glad I have a job.  I should accept I got what I deserved for not doing what I was supposed to.

Most days I could be very grateful.  I had learned to accept what I had to accept, let go when I could, and find the positive in negative situations. Most days, but not that day.  The best I could do was be grateful I’d likely be more grateful the next day.

Today I’ll be as grateful as I can manage.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment