Tuesday, November 8, 2016

77. The Company We Keep
Deb, my wife, was sitting on the couch, working on her laptop, when I got home.  I smiled as I sat down next to her.   She set her computer on the coffee table leaned into me.  We talked about our days.  

When I was dating, my father often asked me if my girlfriends were ‘good company’.  I usually gave him some smart aleck answer, something like “When she’s not smoking crack.” Over the years I learned he meant so much more by ‘good company’ than enjoying being around someone.   His favorite someone  was my mother.  For him ‘good company’ meant looking forward to doing something ordinary with her, the joy at seeing her, and the ease and contentment he found in her company. 

In time I learned ‘good company’ wasn’t limited to romantic relationships.

“Wanna watch a movie?” I asked Deb, thinking she was good company.

“Sounds great,” she said.

Today I will be grateful for good company.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment