Wednesday, November 2, 2016

73. An Ounce of Prevention
The next morning I sat on my bed, staring at my underwear on the floor, wondering how I’d get them on without bending over.  I had ignored the stiffness in my back until the spasms started.  I put a foot in one leg hole, then the other.   As I bent over, searing pain shot through my lower back. 

I cursed, and thought ‘now what?’  Even on casual Friday The Boss expected me to wear something. Grabbing a hair brush from the nightstand, I hooked my underwear with the bristles.   I didn’t have to bend over as far, and the pain was tolerable.  I congratulated myself on my cleverness as I pulled them on.

When I stood, the muscles in my lower back seized.  Like an angry hand grabbing me from behind, the spasms jerked my shoulders back. I couldn’t breathe for a second.   As I sank back onto the bed, I thought about what my physical therapist said after my last my back attack.  “Don’t forget to stretch.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Today I will remember the old adage:  an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.


Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


No comments:

Post a Comment