Sunday, July 9, 2017

72. Hidden Pain
“How’s the leg?” I asked Daphne. “How bad is the pain?”
She said, “Truth be told, I was just about done with painkillers. It hurts, but I can manage. You know what stings? One of my nieces stealing my pills. The thief didn’t know I wasn’t in a lot of pain. And to think I’ve always trusted those brats.” She pounded her cane on the floor and added, “Drugs. Nothing leads to breaking someone’s trust like booze and drugs.”
Daphne, one of the toughest people I’d ever met, wiped a tear from her eye. Having her trust betrayed truly stung. My heart broke for her.  
Today I will not betray a trust.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com
https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment