Sunday, July 30, 2017

87. Laughter
I went to get Derek napkins and another cup of coffee. Filling the cup halfway, I turned to see Daphne had sat down next to him.  I sat down opposite from them. Derek was laughing and wiping away a tear. Daphne winked at me and gestured with her eyes toward Derek.
 “It’s not just Florida and flesh-eating bacteria,” Derek said. “My company is going bankrupt. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs.  I’m the HR Director.  I started processing people out today.” He smiled at Daphne. “Never thought I’d be laughing today.”
He still had a fine tremor in his hands, but he took the cup without spilling any.  I asked him what had made him laugh.
“Daphne wants to market flesh-eating bacteria as a guaranteed weight loss program.  We were working out an advertising campaign. Eat all you want. Nothing to weigh but yourself.  No meetings to attend. No supplements. Weight loss tends to be permanent.”

Today I’ll be grateful for people who make me laugh when times are tough.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment