Thursday, July 20, 2017

81. Choosing Rewards
The officer searched and handcuffed Jameston. He put him in the back of the car.  As they drove off, my heart sank.  I thought of all the things Jameston wouldn’t have control over in jail.  When he got out, the real struggle with powerlessness would begin. 
Two thoughts came to mind. Unlike Jameston I hadn’t eaten Xanny bars, or washed them down with a glass of wine. I wasn’t going to jail. I still got to decide when I’d eat, where I’d go, what I could do.  I’d earned some reward points.   Rewards not claimed tended to expire.  Today would be gone and with it the chance to celebrate the day.   I called my wife.
“Let’s eat somewhere nice tonight,” I said.
“Why?” my wife asked, probably wonder what the occasion might be.
“Because we can.”  And because life’s rewards have an expiration date.

Today I will celebrate just because I can.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment