Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Monday, March 2nd, 2020

Three Texts
When I got to work the next day I saw I had three text messages. I hadn’t heard my phone ring, even though it had been resting on the seat beside me, ringer turned up loud. “You are going downhill Montrose,” I said to myself.

My wife had texted to say we were out of cat food. ‘So give the cat $20 and directions to Pet Smart.’ I texted back.  She texted me, ‘lol, if he can’t find a mouse, what makes you think he can find Pet Smart?’

Brat Boy sent me a picture of a Physics exam with ‘100%’ circled at the top. ‘I get my smarts from my mother’ he texted. I laughed and texted back, ‘Smart is doing well in Physics. Wisdom would be not poking the old bear who helps pay your tuition.’

The third text was a group message from KC. Jack had suffered another stroke and died in his sleep. Funeral arrangements to follow.

Jack had said he was going to get completely clean on March 1st, the day before he died.

Today I will remember death from addiction often strikes suddenly.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment