Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Sunday, February 29th, 2020

Little Lies
The next morning I was weighing myself when my wife walked into the bathroom.  I wrote ‘252’ on the chart attached to the wall above the scale.

“The scale said 253,”my wife pointed out.

“I usually weigh myself in just my underwear, so I’m subtracting the weight of my socks,”

“You think your socks weigh a pound?”

“I have big feet,” I said.

“So take your socks off and weigh yourself again,” she suggested.

“The whole getting dressed process has begun, I don’t want to interrupt it. Could be bad luck.” She rolled her eyes, but smiled.  I took my socks off and stepped back onto the scale.

“Take your hand off the sink,” she said, laughing. I had been resting a little of my weight on the cabinet. The scale read 252.9.

“I’ll just round down,” I said. “252.”

She shook her head. “Honey, it’s one pound. Accept it, move on. Aren’t you the guy who says the worst person you can lie to is yourself? Don’t you also say little lies count?”

“Aren’t you late for work?” I asked, knowing she was right.

Today I’ll beware of my desire to avoid truths, big or small, that I don’t like.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment