Sunday, January 7, 2018

Saturday, February 29th, 2020

Better Yet
When I got to the AA meeting, Rudy was standing near the coffee pot, an empty cup in his hand.  He looked as if he had no idea what it was for. I watched him  for a minute or so before I walked over.

“Just a little rattled,” Rudy said when I asked why he was just standing there. “The police talked to me for about an hour today at my house.  They want me to come to the station to make a statement next week.”

“Are you in trouble?” I asked.

“I don’t think so.  They suggested I bring an attorney, but it seemed like a formality.  I got the impression my stepbrother is in deep.” He finally filled his cup, and staring at his shoes, said. “I thought I’d feel good about this but I don’t. If I was in trouble, my stepbrother would be laughing his butt off.”

“You’re the better man,” I said. “You can put yourself in his shoes. He’s the lesser man because he could never put himself in yours.”

“I guess being better doesn’t always feel better.”

“Not always,” I agreed. “But still, in the long run, it’s better to be better. You’re not in trouble.”

Today I will accept being the better person doesn’t always feel better.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment