Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Thursday, March 12th, 2020

AWOL
The next morning I dropped my phone into the toilet. It turned out to be the high point of my day.
Toward the end of my drinking career, I would go absent from the world. I’d buy a bottle on the way home from work.  Sitting on my bed, I’d drink until I no longer cared about the downward spiral of my life.

After I got sober, I re-discovered daydreaming. I’d set aside five minutes to shut my eyes and go fishing. Later I learned mindfulness exercises that relaxed my mind and body, at least for a little while. That day I shut my office door and went absent without liquor –AWOL- for ten minutes. The mindfulness and daydreaming made a world of difference.

Today I will go AWOL.

2020 Vision ©2017 & 2018 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment