Sunday, February 11, 2018

Wednesday, March 11th, 2020


Pride and Persistence
Rudy called me to ask me what I thought about celebrating recovery anniversaries. He’d been told being proud of your clean time was a step toward relapse.

I said, “My first sponsor said have a little pride, but don’t let up, persist. Whatever kept you sober, keep doing. I think that’s what you take pride in, not how long you’ve been sober, but how you kept at it.”

“I dunno,” he said. “My dad used to say…”

I interrupted him, thinking whatever that tyrant had said, it wasn’t likely to be positive. “If I was in your shoes, you know what I’d proud of?  You never let your dad or stepbrother drive you out of the business. You kept at it. Pride yourself on that persistence.”

Today I’ll pride myself on persistence.

2020 Vision ©2017 & 2018 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment