Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Cut the Ties
“I wanted to tell you I dumped my boyfriend,” Brittany said. “We’re going to stay friends, but nothing more.” She read my facial expression and asked, “What?”

I said, “If you two had a good relationship, but drifted apart because you wanted different things from life, I’d say stay friends. But that’s not what happened.”

“Exes can be friends,” she protested.

“They can, but if the relationship was toxic, why would they? It’s like a heroin addict holding onto his last needle for ‘old time’s sake.’ He needs to get rid of it, to cut the tie to his drug. It would be like me buying a bar, not to drink there, but just to watch other people get drunk. I’d still be tied to booze, even if I was stayed sober. If you don’t cut the ties to the past, you’re likely to repeat it.”

Brittany frowned, looked around, and said, “You’re right. I should cut the ties to him. He’s a snake but I’m hoping he’ll change. I kind of had the idea we’d stay friends and I’d watch for signs he was becoming a better person.”

“Cut the ties,” I said. 

Today I will cut ties with anything toxic in my life.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment