Thursday, July 19, 2018

Drama Addict
The next day I took my car to get the windshield replaced. Jimmy, the man who worked on my car, told me he replaces more glass due to domestic disputes than he does to road damage.

Jimmy said, “I had just finished replacing the windshield for a guy. As he’s handing me a check, his girlfriend calls his name. When we turn to look, she smashes the rear window with a brick.”

“Well I guess that put an end to that relationship,” I said, shaking my head.

“You’d guess wrong. I go to their house about twice a year to replace something. They’re not my only repeat customers. We have a few couples like that who regularly break each other’s windshields.”

“Why?” I asked, baffled.

“Oh, they love the drama. They get the cops and the insurance company and me involved. Sometimes the neighbors get in on the act. It’s like they’re drama addicts.”

People toss the word ‘addiction’ around too easily, but I thought Jimmy might have a point.  Drama gets people’s hearts pumping and adrenaline going. Drama changes mood, lifting it for some people.  It ends boredom and changes relationships. Drama affects the people around the drama addict. It certainly had a lot in common with drugs.

Today I’ll avoid drama – it can be addictive.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment