Tuesday, July 10, 2018


Under the Influence
When I got to work, the police were talking to Jackie.

Weedman said, “Her husband died. The police are suspicious. I think she did it.”

“What makes you say that?” I asked. 

“You should know, it’s your line of work. People do things under the influence they would never do normally. It’s just a matter of how much influence and how long they feel it.”

“I don’t think Jackie drinks or does drugs.”

“No, but she may have felt a lot of resentment for a long time. Or she may have been under the influence of greed. Maybe she’s been eyeing his insurance policy forever. You let any negative emotions live in your head too long, they’re like a drug. You ever watch those crime shows where somebody with no criminal record kills somebody?  Under the influence, usually lust or greed.”

I nodded my head in agreement.  I didn’t think I’d ever poison someone, but I had my fair share of petty resentments floating around in my head.

Today I’ll make sure I’m not under the influence, chemical or otherwise.

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment